The ongoing dispute between Sipekne'katik First Nation and non-Indegenous Nova Scotia fisheries reached a critical point this week after protests again resulted in a series of violent clashes and possible arson. According to Chief Mike Sack, the protests and subsequent inaction from the federal government are indicative of systemic racism that is still present in Canadian culture.
The Manitoba government announced that tightened COVID-19 restrictions will be implemented in Winnipeg and several surrounding municipalities next week as the province seeks to slow the spread of the virus. In addition to reduced gathering capacities, many of the province’s bars will be forced to close for at least two weeks. As well, Ontario, which recently implemented updated regulations of its own, is calling on third-party delivery apps to reduce commissions charged to independently-owned restaurants in the city’s COVID-19 hotspot areas. So far, only SkipTheDishes and Toronto-based app Ritual have cut their commission rates.
Here's more information on those news headlines plus a few others you might have missed this week.
Sipekne'katik First Nation Chief calls on Trudeau for aid amidst lobster dispute
Nova Scotia's decades-long lobster feud continues to produce increasingly violent clashes between protesters and the Sipekne'katik First Nation, and after yet another incident occurred this week, Chief Mike Sack issued a statement calling into question the inaction of the RCMP and the federal government.
"This truly is systemic racism," Sack said in regards to Tuesday's violent protests. "Does Trudeau care about our people? Does he care about reconciliation? They talk about it, but I don't see any actions towards it. The RCMP dropped the ball."
Get the full story from CTV News.
Manitoba updates COVID-19 restrictions
The Manitoba government recently announced that tightened restrictions are coming to Winnipeg and several surrounding municipalities next week, as the province seeks to slow the spread of COVID-19.
In addition to reduced gathering limits, bars, stand-alone nightclubs, beverage rooms, casinos, video lottery lounges, and bingo halls will be forced to close as of Monday, October 19. The updated regulations will be in effect for a minimum of two weeks.
Visit CBC News for a full breakdown.
Ontario government asks food delivery apps to reduce fees
Ontario Premier Doug Ford spoke out against third-party delivery apps this week, calling on the companies to reduce commissions charged to independently-owned restaurants in the city’s COVID-19 hotspot areas, which he said could be as high as 30 per cent.
So far, only SkipTheDishes and the Toronto-based app Ritual have cut commission rates for restaurants in the area.
Check out the Toronto Sun for more.
Class-action lawsuit filed for Canadians impacted by salmonella outbreak
Now that the dust from the months-long salmonella outbreak linked to U.S. imported onions has settled, Canadians who have been impacted may be eligible to join a class-action lawsuit to seek damages.
Although there appears to be more than one active lawsuit related to the outbreak, each lawsuit--including the most recent filed at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice--is linked to California-based grower Thompson International.
Find out more at CTV News.
Federal government doubles pandemic aid for Canadian food banks
The federal government is adding another $100 million to the Emergency Food Security Fund in anticipation of what many expect to be a considerably high-pressure and turbulent time for food banks, related agencies, and Indigenous organizations.
The first phase of the program was launched in April with an initial endowment of $100 million, and has gone on to fund 1,800 projects, providing an estimated six million meals to two million Canadians.
Find the full breakdown at CTV News.