If you told me in 2019 that I would be happily writing about something to do with TikTok and food in 2021, I wouldn't have believed you. My current self knows better and remains constantly impressed with the clever culinary content the social media app can offer a user. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of bad–and downright weird–with the good when it comes to food TikTok, but that rings true for whatever social media platform you may frequent.
Recently, a clever technique for making a wrap blew up. It was something so easy, yet game-changing at the same time. How could I not want to try it out?
One simple slice with a knife makes all the difference. After trying it once, I was hooked.
See below for the step-by-step on how to create a consistently delicious grilled wrap. I make a breakfast wrap in this example using a fried egg, cheese, lettuce, pickles and bacon, but the sky is truly the limit here.
The TikTok wrap technique
- Take a knife and cut a straight line from the centre of the tortilla to the edge. (Note: pita bread or chapati would work as well.)
- Place an even amount of toppings separately into each quarter of the tortilla.
- Starting with the bottom left quarter and carefully fold the tortilla overtop of the top left quarter.
- Fold that over to the top right, followed by the bottom right.
- Brush with butter or mayonnaise and cook in a hot pan until golden brown on both sides, approximately 3-4 minutes per side.